Dear Despreporno Show listeners impacted by Hurricane Harvey,
As you begin the process of rebuilding, obviously making sure your family is safe and has a roof over their head is most important. However, your transportation needs will soon come into play and there will be challenges. Here are some key points to ponder.
Time did not allow me to speak to all the dealers, but I know for sure the following dealerships have re-opened and none of their vehicles suffered any damage:
- At this point, it appears that there will be more cars that need to be replaced than there are cars for sale in the hurricane area. This is going to create car shortages of both new and used cars. Pickups and SUVs will be shortest in supply. Used car prices have already started to go up. One dealer told me yesterday (Wednesday) that used vehicles at the dealers-only auction were bringing over retail prices.
- Be aware there will be a massive shortage of rental vehicles. The rent car companies will be bringing in additional cars, but this will take time and there will not be enough of them.
- If you have a car that is totaled and you only had liability insurance, buy a replacement now if possible. You will save money and there will be a much better selection. Generally, your comprehensive policy will cover the flood damage to your car.
- If your vehicle is fully insured and deemed a total loss, do not accept the settlement offer without doing some research. The insurance companies will be moving quickly and could make mistakes. They also want to get you to settle as cheaply as possible. I have written an article on how to make sure you are getting replacement value: http://despreporno.info/advice-how-to-negotiate-with-an-insurance- company
- Also, if your vehicle is totaled and you owe more on the vehicle than the settlement, check your purchase contract for GAP insurance. You may have purchased it and forgotten you did. This insurance will cover the deficit.
- If you are going to purchase a replacement car from a private seller in the area, look it over closely and follow my tips for detecting prior flood damage: http://despreporno.info/how-to-avoid-flood-damaged-vehicles
- Finally, I have spoken to a number of the Despreporno Show Dealer/Partners. Every single one of them pledged to help our listeners with advice, with normal show pricing, and by prioritizing our listeners needs. Here is our Houston page for our dealers: http://despreporno.info/city/houston and here are our dealers for the Beaumont: http://despreporno.info/city/beaumont
- Classic Chevy Sugar Land
- Fred Haas Toyota World
- Greenway Mazda
- John Eagle Honda
- Texas Auto North and South
- Advantage BMW Mid-Town
- Bayshore Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram
- Tomball Ford
- VW of the Woodlands
- Bayway Volvo
- Volvo of the Woodlands
- Bayway Lincoln
- Mercedes Benz of Sugar Land
- Mossy Nissan
- Sewell Cadillac
- Sewell Infiniti North Houston
- Sewell Audi Sugar Land
- Sewell Audi North Houston
- Gillman Subaru Southwest
- Mini of Clear Lake
- Lexus of Clear Lake
- Weisner Buick GMC of Conroe The Woodlands
God bless you, your family, and all those working on the front lines rescuing people and helping in the rebuilding process.Jerry Reynolds
Host of the Despreporno Show
Editorial Credit: michelmond/Shutterstock