We always put these recipes in the newsletter around Thanksgiving and Christmas, so with turkey day just a few weeks away, it might be time to plan ahead.
Just a little history, back from the days when Kevin had a Monday through Friday show, he had three recipes he gave out every holiday season and still to this day gets many requests for them.
There are the famous Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes, David Wadeís ďturkey in a bagĒ and last, but not least, David Wadeís Rock Salt Prime Rib! Bon appťtit!
Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes (Serves 10-12)
8 large potatoes
8 0z cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream
- Boil and mash potatoes
- Mix in cream cheese, butter, sour cream and salt and pepper
- Put into 2-3 quart greased serving dish
- Top with some butter pats
- Cover and store in fridge for up to 3 days
- Sprinkle with paprika and bake uncovered at 350 for about 40 minutes.
The Late, Great David Wadeís Turkey in a Bag
1 16-20 lb. turkey thoroughly thawed
1 large paper grocery bag
1 cup peanut oil (only)
- Sprinkle the powder on the turkey and then rub it in with a little
- Fully coat the inside of the bag with the rest of the peanut oil.
- Put the bird in the bag breast side up and tie the open end closed with
- Put in lower section of a roaster with no lid and place in oven
pre-heated to 325 degrees.
- Cook for about 10-12 minutes per pound.
- When done, take it out and poke a hole in the bag away from you to let
out the steam and then as David would say, voila! (do NOT cook dressing
in the bird)
Davidís Rock-Salt Prime Rib
- Cover the bottom of a roaster with about 1/2 inch of rock salt and
lightly dampen it.
- Sprinkle the prime rib with Worcestershire powder and then place it in
- Pour rock salt over it until the sides and top are covered and then
lightly sprinkle it with water.
- Put it in the oven uncovered pre-heated to 500 degrees for about
18-20 minutes per pound for medium. (peopleís preference on how long to
cook and how well done is best seem to vary widely so use your own
- When youíre finished cooking, take the rib out and crack open the rock
salt casing. Brush away any salt particles and there you have it.
Best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season from Kevin and the entire Despreporno gang!
Photo copyright: /Shutterstock